NY Fishing CME ADventure
OCTOBER 21-25th, 2018
October 21th-25th, 2018
- Join our 4 night Salmon Fishing CME course in Oct. 2018 at Tailwater Lodge in upstate NY (about 1 hr north of Syracuse and 2.5 hours from Albany, NY). Experienced Guides: Wack'em Guide - Josh Day.
This course is ideal for those interested in providing medical care / prevention to the outdoorsman or those looking to learn more about possible injuries and accidents encountered while hunting and fishing. Our courses are also great for those travel enthusiasts, group leaders, climbers, walkers, EMT’s, nurses, PA's, NP's or doctors with a desire to learn medical treatment in austere environments. We will complete the core curriculum of this CME certification course while fishing for Salmon and exploring the Salmon River. Enjoy 2 days of drift boat fishing, optional fly fishing on day off on lodge property (own gear), 11.5 hours CME lectures / work-shops, and excellent food while making new friends. In addition, earn credits towards your FAWM via the WMS society. See details below.
PREVIOUS REVIEWS FROM OUR HUNTING & FISHING CME COURSES
"Good balance of information and practical skills. Great exposure to Wilderness Medicine and it's application to hunting" ***** "Loved it!" *** "Well planned - went even better than expected. Recommend without reservation!" ***** "Great place - Great Course - A real Value" ***** "Well Done! Lot's of work went into it and it shows. Well worth the time & money. Super enjoyable & equally educational" ***** "Can't wait to do it again" ***** "Excellent, up to date, enthusiastic, comprehensive and hands-on" ***** "A+, personable, knowledgable, and experienced (instructors)"
FACULTY DISCLOSURE / CME
- It is the policy of the Wild Med Adventures, LLC to ensure balance, independence, objectivity and scientific rigor. All faculty members are required to disclose any real or apparent conflict of interest related to the content of their presentations.
- Accordingly, the Wilderness Medical Society has determined there are no conflicts to report associated with this conference.
- ACCME Statement: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of the Wilderness Medical Society and Wild Med Adventures, LLC. The Wilderness Medical Society is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- The Wilderness Medical Society designates this educational activity for a maximum of 11.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits TM. Each physician should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ATTENDING THIS COURSE YOU WILL:
- Learn the latest practical hands-on wilderness medical skills for patient assessment, stabilization and evacuation.
- Practice your skills while enjoying the lodge at Tailwater and fishing
- Work with our expert faculty and local Fishing guides to develop your knowledge and awareness regarding hunting & fishing injuries
- Obtain up to 11.5 hours of CME and Fellowship credits from the Wilderness Medicine Society towards your FAWM
- Our program focuses on treatment of the most common injuries and illnesses encountered while hunting & fishing and practical skills for assessment, splinting, wraps, carries and more
Approved for up to 11.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits and WMS FAWM Credits (New Curriculum hours may change)
- An opportunity to Fish in beautiful Upstate New York with respectable fishing guides while gaining valuable medical knowledge
- Experience wilderness medicine in context doing what you love to do
- Enjoy a full service lodge with excellent food, drinks and hospitality with a rustic atmosphere
- Build friendships to last a lifetime
ITINERARY: (Speakers and times may change slightly based on availability and weather) Meals Included (B, L, D) noted below
Day 1 – (Oct. 21th) Arrive at Lodge by 5pm for Dinner and Introduction to Course (D)
Day 2 – (Oct. 22th) Morning Fishing 6-8 hours: Afternoon / Evening Lectures (B,D)
Day 3 – (Oct. 23th) Day off for Lectures & Work-shops / Local fishing by lodge if time permits (B,D)
Day 4 – (Oct. 24th) Morning Fishing 6-8 hours: Afternoon / Evening Lectures (B,D)
Day 5 – (Oct. 25th) Breakfast / Wrap-up / Reviews and Check-out (B)
MAIN EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES:
- The goal of the Wilderness Medical Society Fishing CME Conference is to provide participants with a unique environment to experience essential medically-related topics and learn skills while collaborating with local fishing guides through educational activities including lectures, hands on work-shops, training modules and fishing excursions.
- Development of this CME curriculum is formed by the following key objectives:
- Provide educational opportunities based on core curriculum of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine.
- Provide education of value to providers who care for the medical needs and also those involved with coordination of hunting & fishing related educational activities, including medical providers who must educate and instruct hunter safety with their patients.
- Provide education of interest to wilderness and austere-activity enthusiasts.
- After attending this conference, the participants will be able to:
- Establish a set of treatment priorities for care of the sick or injured in remote settings.
- Prevent, diagnose, and manage illnesses and injuries in austere environments.
- Demonstrate increased knowledge and skill in recognizing and treating the most common illnesses and injuries encountered in remote hunting environments, including hyperthermia, hypothermia, cold injuries, and wound management.
- Understand objective risk-assessment in wilderness environments from the perspective of the medical professional acting as a trip leader.
- Understand the pathophysiology and management of acute emergencies related to remote environments and potential high velocity ballistic injuries.
- Perform a pre-departure assessment of the participant’s pre-existing medical conditions and plan an appropriate medical kit & care.
THE TEAM / FACULTY:
- The fishing logistics and leadership will be provided by extremely experienced guides from Whackem' Guide Service, whose team members have a wealth of knowledge and experience.
- The Wild Med Adventures Team are all well traveled and experienced and promise to make your CME experience both educational and informative, but please note that we are only responsible for the educational aspect of this trip. For more information regarding our instructor's background - please see BIO's for instructor information. Instructors: Ben Mattingly, MD, FAWM & Matt Razon, PA-C. (Instructors may change based on unforeseen circumstances)
- EMT, Paramedic, Nurse, PA, NP, RRT, PhD or Physician for the CME portion.
- If no CME needed, please feel free to attend and enjoy the lectures without the CME fee
- A keen interest in wilderness first aid
- A good level of physical fitness
- Previous experience with adequate preparation for various climate changes and temps
WILDERNESS MEDICAL SOCIETY AND FELLOW OF THE ACADEMY OF WILDERNESS MEDICINE (FAWM)
- Get involved with the Wilderness Medicine Society and earn your fellowship (FAWM). Learn more by clicking below links.
- Delegates should have personal insurance to cover any in-country medical examinations, treatment or rescue/evacuation as well as some form of trip insurance to cover missed flights, weather delays and other potential trip delays. In addition, rescue / evacuation insurance is recommended but not required. However, Wild Med Adventures is not responsible for any costs that are incurred due to injury or illness requiring medical evacuation or hospitalization. We recommend Global Rescue for all of our trips.
- Intended as continuing education for physicians, PA's, NP's, nurses, and medics who aspire to work or teach as a field instructor/provider in recreational hunting & fishing environments or who may work in remote clinics and deal with the injuries sustained by hunters / outdoorsmen.
- Graduates from other wilderness medicine programs (e.g. FAWM, MFAWM) who want to gain experience and skills in Fishing / Remote Medicine
- Individuals pursuing a Fellow of Wilderness Medicine degree (FAWM™)
ACCOMODATIONS: - "Tailwater Lodge"
- Our Tailwater Lodge package allows our guests to enjoy an all inclusive experience just steps away from the legendary Salmon River. The location simply can't be beat as the lodge is situated on the beautiful Salmon River. The river bends around the property allowing plenty of opportunities for our guests to cast a line at their convenience. Accommodations will be shared but if requested we can arrange single accommodation for additional fee.
- Lodging is considered double occupancy. Each room has 2 double beds and it's own private Bath. If single occupancy in a deal-breaker contact us and we can likely work something out for an extra fee.
- Deposit: $800
- Course + CME credit: $2200
- ****EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: Save $200 if you sign-up before June 1st. Use Code (EARLYFISH)
- 3% credit card fee added to online check-out
- Single Supplement extra $400 (depends on availability)
INCLUDED: All equipment / fishing gear, 4 nights lodging at Tailwater Lodge - shared accommodation, all breakfasts & dinners, 2 days fishing with possible land fishing on off day, 11.5 hours CME & FAWM credit, Wild Med Hat & the memories to share for a lifetime. SAMPLE DINNER MENU
EXCLUDED: Airfare / transportation to location, airport shuttle / transportation to lodge, travel insurance (recommended), medical and rescue insurance (optional), NY Fishing License (approx. $28), warm clothing / waders recommended, tips (custom $25/person/day fishing), personal fishing gear if you wish to fish on Day 3 at lodge, meals not on itinerary & alcoholic drinks. (contact us for single accommodation possibility / fee)
GEAR RECOMMENDED: Warm clothing, Waders Recommended but rain pants/jacket okay, polarized sunglasses, sun hat, personal fishing gear if you wish to fish on own during day off: (7 or 8 weight 10ft fly rod or Spin Rod 9-10ft), preferred snacks while fishing. Temps should be 40's - 50's during day and frost in early am.
or save 3% credit card fee and send Check or Money order to:
Wild Med Adventures, LLC
138 Kennedy Road
Belchertown, MA 01007
***Please note: Full payment due within 45 days of course or a $250 fee will be added to your final cost OR your trip will be cancelled**
- Cancellation Policy: Your deposit for the travel portion of the course is nonrefundable, unless the CME course is cancelled due to insufficient numbers. The entire balance of your trip fee and CME fee will be due 45 days prior to departure. If you have not paid in full prior to 45 days before the start of the course a late fee of $250 will be applied to final cost or we have the right to cancel your trip. There will be no refund after 45 days prior to course.
- We have a maximum number of 10 and a minimum of 6
PLEASE INQUIRE WITH ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS
We hope to meet you in Nov. and share the ultimate fishing CME experience !