Mount Elbrus CME Adventure
COURSE COMPLETED - ALL 14 CLIENTS SUMMITTED
CHECK BACK FOR FUTURE MT. ELBRUS COURSE
CLIMB Mount elbrus - "a seven summit"
- Join our 15 day Mt. Elbrus Climb and CME course: Climb to the "Roof of Europe" with excellent instruction and the experience of local Russian guides. Mount Elbrus is without a doubt one of the world's great adventures and one of the seven summits. The Caucacus Mountain range links the Caspian Sea to the Black Sea and separates Russia from it's southern border with Georgia and Armenia. Mt. Elbrus at 18, 510 ft (5642M) is a magnificent mountain that can be seen from most high passes and is well known and an epicenter for European and Russian climbers.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This accredited curriculum's highlights include pathophysiology, treatment and prioritization of care for a variety of medical problems encountered in the wilderness environments and settings remote from hospital/ definitive care. Physicians and allied health care providers who counsel patients traveling to remote areas will be interested in the topics covered during this unique CME event. Curriculum includes altitude risk reduction, recent recommendations on altitude-related illnesses prophylaxis, rescue strategies and ethics, as well cold-related injuries, and general mountain medicine. This will be achieved through didactic lectures, small-group discussion and hands-on training. Anyone interested in earning CME and traveling to Russia is welcome to attend: Nurses, Docs, PA's, EMT's, Paramedics, NP's and outdoor enthusiasts welcome. If significant other would like to attend please contact us @ email@example.com
Rescue Insurance is mandatory and we recommend Global Rescue: Sign-up and see details be clicking Logo below
- Mount Elbrus is an extreme high altitude climb that is demanding and everyone should be comfortable with basic use of crampons, ice ax, and mountain gear. In addition, clients should be comfortable climbing 4-8 hours a day with a backpack and expect a long 15-19 hour summit day. You must be in excellent physical shape and should begin training and preparation much in advance. Many underestimate the physical demands of altitude and climbing steep terrain for long hours. Please contact us with questions or concerns regarding your physical preparation. Everyone should have some experience in the mountains and check with their personal physician before climbing such a demanding mountain. (Previous use of crampons, glacier travel, and mountaineering recommended)
Mt. Elbrus: Wild Med Adventure's Mountain Medicine - Video
- Mount Elbrus isn’t technically a mountain — it is an inactive volcano located in the western Caucasus mountain range, near the Georgian border in Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachay–Cherkessia, Russia.
- With an elevation of 18,510 feet (5,642 meters), it is part of the Caucasus Range that straddles Asia and Europe, although most geographers place it in Europe. This makes it the tallest mountain in Europe and one of the Seven Summits, the highest mountains in each of the continents and elite climbers aspire to summit all of them.
- Mount Elbrus’ prominence —a measure of how distinct a mountain is from nearby peaks — is 15,554 feet (4,741 m), making it the 10th most prominent mountain in the world. The east summit is slightly lower at 18,442 feet (5,621 m).
ELBRUS TRIP DETAILS:
- Skill level: This trip is open to all individuals in good physical condition, but is a challenging climb at altitude. It is a technical ascent and some previous mountaineering experience is expected. Expedition style. Moderate hiking & glacier travel. (Wild Med Adventures, LLC is in charge of setting up the climb and teaching medical education while the guiding company is responsible for all mountain safety and guiding)
- Location: Mount Elbrus, Russia
- Length: 15 days
- Climber/guide ratio: 3-4:1
- Capacity: 15
- Prerequisites: Excellent Physical Condition, Good Attitude, and Basic Mountaineering Experience
- Trip Cost: $4600 US with $399 CME fee that includes approx. 16 hours CME and 16 hours FAWM credits
- Deposit: $1,500/person (includes $500 non-refundable registration fee to secure spot)
- Departure date: August 16, 2016 ( You must plan to arrive on August 17th in St. Petersburg)
FACULTY DISCLOSURE / CME
- It is the policy of the Wild Med Adventures, LLC to ensure balance, independence, objectivity and scientific rigor. All faculty members are required to disclose any real or apparent conflict of interest related to the content of their presentations.
- Accordingly, the Wilderness Medical Society has determined there are no conflicts to report associated with this conference.
- ACCME Statement: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of the Wilderness Medical Society and Wild Med Adventures, LLC. The Wilderness Medical Society is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- The Wilderness Medical Society designates this educational activity for a maximum of 16 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits TM. Each physician should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
WILDERNESS MEDICAL SOCIETY AND FELLOW OF THE ACADEMY OF WILDERNESS MEDICINE (FAWM)
- Get involved with the Wilderness Medicine Society and earn your fellowship (FAWM). Learn more by clicking below links.
- Intended as continuing education for physicians, mid-level providers, nurses, and medics who aspire to work or teach as a field instructor/provider in recreational mountain environments or who may work in remote clinics and deal with the injuries sustained by climbers.
- Graduates from other wilderness medicine programs (e.g. FAWM, MFAWM) who want to gain experience and skills in Mountaineering / Remote Medicine
- Individuals pursuing a Fellow of Wilderness Medicine degree (FAWM™)
ATTENDING THIS COURSE YOU WILL:
- Learn the latest practical hands-on wilderness medical skills for patient assessment, stabilization and evacuation.
- Practice your skills while enjoying a climb of a lifetime
- Work with our expert faculty and local mountaineering guides to develop your knowledge and awareness regarding climbing injuries
- Obtain up to 16 hours of CME and Fellowship credits from the Wilderness Medicine Society towards your FAWM
- Our program focuses on treatment of the most common injuries and illnesses encountered while mountaineering and practical skills for assessment, splinting, wraps, carries and more
MAIN EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES:
- The goal of the Wilderness Medical Society Mt. Elbrus CME Conference is to provide participants with a unique environment to experience essential medically-related topics and learn skills while collaborating with Elbrus Tours through educational activities including lectures, hands on work-shops, training modules and a mountaineering excursion.
- Development of this CME curriculum is formed by the following key objectives:
- Provide educational opportunities based on core curriculum of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine.
- Provide education of value to providers who care for the medical needs and also those involved with coordination of mountaineering related educational activities, including medical providers who must educate and instruct climber safety with their patients.
- Provide education of interest to wilderness and austere-activity enthusiasts.
- After attending this conference, the participants will be able to:
- Establish a set of treatment priorities for care of the sick or injured in remote settings.
- Prevent, diagnose, and manage illnesses and injuries in austere environments.
- Demonstrate increased knowledge and skill in recognizing and treating the most common illnesses and injuries encountered in remote mountain environments, including hyperthermia, hypothermia, cold injuries, and wound management.
- Understand objective risk-assessment in wilderness environments from the perspective of the medical professional acting as a trip leader.
- Understand the pathophysiology and management of acute emergencies related to remote environments.
- Perform a pre-departure assessment of the participant’s pre-existing medical conditions and plan an appropriate medical kit & care.
THE TEAM / FACULTY:
- The mountaineering logistics and leadership will be provided by extremely experienced guides from Elbrus Tours, whose team members have a wealth of knowledge and experience.
- The Wild Med Adventures Team are all well traveled and experienced and promise to make your CME experience both educational and informative, but please note that we are only responsible for the educational aspect of this trip. For more information regarding our instructor's background - please see BIO's for instructor information.
Deposit: $1500 (includes non-refundabe $500 registration fee)
Course Cost: $4600 / CME: $399
Course + CME: $4999
Course without CME: $4600
- Certified Russian Mountain Guides, Assistant Guide, & Staff
- Hotel accommodations as listed on the itinerary
- Tour as listed on itinerary in St. Petersburg
- Assistance obtaining the permits
- All meals as listed on the itinerary
- Restaurant meals as listed on the itinerary
- Camping and cooking gear for the group
- Base camp services
- Satellite phone service available (calls at charge if needed)
- Tents, cookware, food, ropes, etc. on the mountain. ( Recommend snacks to supplement lunch that you like . . . power bars, candy, etc.)
- Private ground transportation throughout the trip.
- Assistance in the US before and during the program.
- International airfare - tickets to and from St. Petersburg
- Non-scheduled Airport transfers and hotels
- Russian Visas
- Restaurant meals not listed in the itinerary
- Alcoholic and bottled drinks
- Personal equipment
- Personal Travel Insurance: *Highly Recommended
- Mandatory Rescue Insurance (Recommend Global Rescue with security)
- Personal gear
- Excess Baggage Fees (You are allowed 20kg / 40 lbs for the internal flights in Russia)
- Single Room Supplement ($400)
- Sat Phone calls
- Tips and gratuities
- Rescue costs and extra expenses caused by abandoning the expedition or need for early departure ( evacuation fees, transport, extra hotel nights)
- Reimbursement for any problems with obtaining visa or refusal of entry into country
- Charges incurred as a result of delays beyond the control of Wild Med Adventures
ELBRUS CANCELLATION / REFUND POLICY:
- Note: Wild Med Adventures highly recommends trip cancellation insurance for all expeditions. Due to the nature and heavy costs of government and operator permits, Wild Med Adventures must adhere to a stringent refund policy.
- Each deposit includes a $500.00 non-refundable registration fee to hold your spot.
- Full refunds, less registration fee, will be provided 120-days or more prior to course, trek and/or expedition date.
- 50% refunds will be provided 90-119 days prior to course, trek and/or expedition date.
- No refunds will be provided 89-days prior to course, trek and/or expedition date.
- All balances are due 90 days prior to departure date unless otherwise specified and expect cancellation if not paid.
- Participants whose balances are not received by the 90-day deadline as stated above, risk forfeiture of their place on the expedition.
Note: Wild Med Adventures reserves the right to waive any fees. As we offer personalized service, we will attempt to accommodate changes and cancellations when necessary, waiving certain fees when feasible. In addition, we are not responsible for your safety on the mountain or during your travel and stay in Russia. We help arrange trips and educate. All guiding will be done by trusted and experienced local Russian guides.
Send Check or Money order to: Wild Med Adventures, LLC, 138 Kennedy Road, Belchertown, MA 01007
**Paying with Credit Card will incur a fee of 3%. Please send check or money order to above address to save 3%**
Upon Payment: please fill out waiver, medical information / history, and send me copy of passport and rescue / travel insurance. We recommend global rescue insurance.