South Dakota Pheasant Hunt CME
Dec. 6th - 10th, 2017
- Join our 4 night Hunting CME course in Dec. 2017 at Rooster Ridge in South Dakota
This course is ideal for those interested in providing medical care / prevention to hunters or those looking to learn more about possible injuries and accidents encountered while hunting. Our courses are also great for those travel enthusiasts, group leaders, climbers, walkers, EMT’s, nurses or doctors with a desire to learn medical treatment in austere environments. We will complete the core curriculum of this CME certification course while hunting in South Dakota. Enjoy 3 days of hunting, sporting clays, 11.5 hours CME lectures / work-shops, excellent food and hospitality while making new friends. In addition, earn credits towards your FAWM via the WMS society. See details below.
REVIEWS FROM PAST DUCK HUNTING CME COURSE
"Good balance of information and practical skills. Great exposure to Wilderness Medicine and it's application to hunting" ***** "Loved it!" *** "Well planned - went even better than expected. Recommend without reservation!" ***** "Great place - Great Course - A real Value" ***** "Well Done! Lot's of work went into it and it shows. Well worth the time & money. Super enjoyable & equally educational" ***** "Can't wait to do it again" ***** "Excellent, up to date, enthusiastic, comprehensive and hands-on" ***** "A+, personable, knowledgable, and experienced (instructors)"
FACULTY DISCLOSURE / CME
- It is the policy of the Wild Med Adventures, LLC to ensure balance, independence, objectivity and scientific rigor. All faculty members are required to disclose any real or apparent conflict of interest related to the content of their presentations.
- Accordingly, the Wilderness Medical Society has determined there are no conflicts to report associated with this conference.
- ACCME Statement: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of the Wilderness Medical Society and Wild Med Adventures, LLC. The Wilderness Medical Society is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- The Wilderness Medical Society designates this educational activity for a maximum of 11.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits TM. Each physician should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ATTENDING THIS COURSE YOU WILL:
- Learn the latest practical hands-on wilderness medical skills for patient assessment, stabilization and evacuation.
- Practice your skills while enjoying the lodge at Rooster Ridge and hunting
- Work with our expert faculty and local Duck Hunting guides to develop your knowledge and awareness regarding hunting injuries
- Obtain up to 11.5 hours of CME and Fellowship credits from the Wilderness Medicine Society towards your FAWM
- Our program focuses on treatment of the most common injuries and illnesses encountered while hunting and practical skills for assessment, splinting, wraps, carries and more
Approved for up to 11.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits and WMS FAWM Credits
- An opportunity to hunt pheasants in S. Dakota while gaining valuable medical knowledge
- Experience wilderness medicine in context doing what you love to do
- Enjoy a full service lodge with excellent food, drinks and hospitality with a rustic atmosphere
- Build friendships to last a lifetime
ITINERARY: (Speakers and times may change slightly based on availability and weather)
Day 1 – Arrive at Lodge in morning / early afternoon - Introduction to Course
Day 2 – Pheasant Hunting & Afternoon Lectures
Day 3 – Pheasant Hunting & Afternoon Lectures
Day 4 – Pheasant Hunting & Afternoon Lectures
Day 5 – Finish up Lectures in am: Depart Afternoon
MAIN EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES:
- The goal of the Wilderness Medical Society Hunting CME Conference is to provide participants with a unique environment to experience essential medically-related hunting topics and learn skills while collaborating with Rooster Ridge through educational activities including lectures, hands on work-shops, training modules and Hunting Excursions.
- Development of this CME curriculum is formed by the following key objectives:
- Provide educational opportunities based on core curriculum of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine.
- Provide education of value to providers who care for the medical needs and also those involved with coordination of hunting-related educational activities, including medical providers who must educate and instruct hunter safety with their patients.
- Provide education of interest to wilderness and austere-activity enthusiasts.
- After attending this conference, the participants will be able to:
- Establish a set of treatment priorities for care of the sick or injured in remote settings.
- Prevent, diagnose, and manage illnesses and injuries in austere environments.
- Demonstrate increased knowledge and skill in recognizing and treating the most common illnesses and injuries encountered in remote hunting environments, including hyperthermia, hypothermia, cold injuries, and wound management.
- Understand objective risk-assessment in wilderness environments from the perspective of the medical professional acting as a trip leader.
- Understand the pathophysiology and management of acute emergencies related to remote environments and potential high velocity ballistic injuries.
- Perform a pre-departure assessment of the participant’s pre-existing medical conditions and plan an appropriate medical kit & care.
THE TEAM / FACULTY:
- The hunting logistics and leadership will be provided by extremely experienced guides from Rooster Ridge, whose team members have a wealth of knowledge and experience.
- The Wild Med Adventures Team are all well traveled and experienced and promise to make your CME experience both educational and informative, but please note that we are only responsible for the educational aspect of this trip. We are NOT hunting guides. For more information regarding our instructor's background - please see BIO's for instructor information.
- Instructors: Ben Mattingly, MD, FAWM - Co-hosted with Dr. Richard Frederick and Dr. Andrew Vincent (The University of Illinois - Peoria, Dept. of Emergency Medicine).
- EMT, Paramedic, Nurse, PA, NP, RRT, PhD or Physician for the CME portion.
- If no CME needed, please feel free to attend and enjoy the lectures at no additional cost
- A keen interest in wilderness first aid
- A good level of physical fitness
- Previous hunting and hiking experience with adequate preparation for various climate changes and temps
WILDERNESS MEDICAL SOCIETY AND FELLOW OF THE ACADEMY OF WILDERNESS MEDICINE (FAWM)
- Get involved with the Wilderness Medicine Society and earn your fellowship (FAWM). Learn more by clicking below links.
- Delegates should have personal insurance to cover any in-country medical examinations, treatment or rescue/evacuation as well as some form of trip insurance to cover missed flights, weather delays and other potential trip delays.
- Intended as continuing education for physicians, PA's, NP's, nurses, and medics who aspire to work or teach as a field instructor/provider in recreational hunting environments or who may work in remote clinics and deal with the injuries sustained by hunters.
- Graduates from other wilderness medicine programs (e.g. FAWM, MFAWM) who want to gain experience and skills in Hunting / Remote Medicine
- Individuals pursuing a Fellow of Wilderness Medicine degree (FAWM™)
Course + CME: $3,250
3% Online Credit Card fee added to price at Check-Out
Pay by Check or Money order to save 3%
Mail Check to: Wild Med Adventures, 138 Kennedy Road, Belchertown, MA 01007
****EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: Sign-up by June 15th and save $250 off Course Fee****
Use Code: "EARLYBIRD2017" FOR DISCOUNT
- 4 Nights lodging (shared accommodations), Hot Tub, Pool Table, Satellite TV and all taxes included
- 3 Days Pheasant Hunting on private 7000+ acres with Professional Guide & Dog
- 4 Bird per day limit
- Sporting Clays & Bird Processing
- All meals
- License & Ammunition
- 10 hours credit towards your FAWM and 10 CME credits
- Wild Med Shirt or Hat
Excluded: Transportation to and from Rooster Ridge. Guns, Hunting gear & Gratuities. Alcoholic Beverages. Any additional costs for delays, injuries, trip insurance, or shipping birds back to home state. *Please note: all meat will be eaten. If you elect not to take your meat home, it will be donated to the lodge.
We may be able to arrange Private Rooms - Please Contact us (Single Supplement: $400)
or send Check or Money order to:
Wild Med Adventures, LLC
138 Kennedy Road
Belchertown, MA 01007
***Please note: Full payment due within 60 days of start of course or a $250 fee will be added to your final cost OR we have the right to cancel your trip without refund**
- Cancellation Policy: Your deposit for the travel portion of the course is nonrefundable. The entire balance of your trip fee and CME fee will be due 60 days prior to departure. No deposits will be returned after payment unless for some reason course is cancelled. If you have not paid in full prior to 60 days before the start of the course a late fee of $250 will be applied to the final cost or you will lose your spot on our trip. There will be a full refund minus deposit up to 60 days prior to course.
- We have a maximum number of 17 clients and minimum of 6. (please contact us before purchasing airfare)
PLEASE INQUIRE WITH ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS
We hope to meet you in Dec. and share the ultimate hunting experience!