AWLS Sept. 8th - 11th, 2017
Adirondack Mountains, NY
*** Class is full ***
ADVANCED WILDERNESS LIFE SUPPORT (AWLS®)- ADIRONDACK MOUNTAINS, NY
- Join our 4 day AWLS® course in the heart of the Adirondacks at Camp Little Notch. September 8th - 11th, 2017. Enjoy the beauty and charm of the adirondack mountains during the beautiful fall. You will be sleeping in 4 person large platform tents with individual cots. Enjoy a private setting of 400+ acres with a lake and our own hiking trails. Learn wilderness medicine while camping out with friends and sharing stories and knowledge.
COURSE REVIEWS FROM 2016
"This course @ this camp was awesome! Just the right amount of information and fun wilderness scenarios. Great Experience!"
"Loved everything about this course. Staff was super helpful and informative. Campsites were great; awesome location."
"I had an amazing time learning about technology used in wilderness medicine and will probably follow-up with additional courses. Killer dancers/instructors/people"
"The experience was great! Exceeded my expectations and I know I will use the information I learned for years to come. All the instructors were excellent and willing to answer questions. Great to talk to and swap stories with. All so knowledgable."
"Awesome experience. Had a great time. Well organized. Can't wait for the next trip with Wild Med."
"So much more fun than a convention center/ hotel-based CME course. Great learning experience including plenty of hands-on. Beautiful place to explore."
"Overall a great course! Relaxed atmosphere. Loved the practical and common sense approach to skills and topics. I would recommend this course highly for anyone venturing into the outdoors. Valuable and very practical skills anyone can do to aid others in the wilderness."
"Fantastic Seminar. Recommend to any health care provider."
"Amazing experience. Will recommend to friends and family. Amazing Instructors!"
"Great program, awesome staff. Looking forward to more time with Wild Med Adventures"
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is ideal for those interested in providing medical care in the wild or those travel enthusiasts, group leaders, climbers, walkers, EMT’s, nurses or doctors with a desire to learn medical treatment in austere environments. While completing the core curriculum of this AWLS® certification course we will complete the core lectures, skills and scenario based sessions at various camps or in wilderness settings along the camp.
***You are welcome to attend even if you are not medically trained. You still will be able to enjoy our lectures, work-shops and scenery. In addition, you can earn your Wilderness First Aid Certification as a non-medical professional.
ATTENDING THIS COURSE YOU WILL:
- Learn the latest practical hands-on wilderness medical skills for patient assessment, stabilization and evacuation.
- Practice your skills in live scenarios in a wilderness environment
- Work with our expert faculty to develop your wilderness skills and back-country techniques.
- Earn your AWLS® certification accredited by the University of Utah School of Medicine.
- Obtain up to 20.5 hours of CME or Fellowship credits from the Wilderness Medicine Society
- The AWLS program focuses on treatment of the most common injuries and illnesses encountered making the AWLS certification the standard in the medical industry for wilderness medicine. This course offers intensive practical skills
- Advanced Wilderness Life Support (AWLS) Certificate
Approved for 20.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits and WMS FAWM Credits
Day 1 – Arrive at camp / Introduction to course / Dinner
Day 2 – Lectures / Outdoor Wilderness Skills Workshop
Day 3 – Lectures / Hiking / Practice Wilderness Scenarios
Day 4 – Wrap-up / Final Exam and Practicals / End of course
THE AWLS TEAM / FACULTY:
- The AWLS instructors / Wild Med Adventures Team are all mountaineers, well traveled and experienced, but are only responsible for the educational aspect of this trip. Please see BIO's for instructor information.
- EMT, Paramedic, Nurse, PA, NP, RRT, PhD or Physician for the AWLS certificate and CME
- A keen interest in wilderness first aid
- Some camping experience would be useful
- You are welcome to attend if you have an interest in wilderness safety despite not having a medical background
- If NO medical background you can earn your Wilderness First Aid Certification during this course.
HEALTH / VACCINATIONS:
- Delegates should be vaccinated appropriately
- Please bring all necessary medications you may need with you as well as epinephrine pen if you have known allergies
- Delegates should be aware this is intended to be a wilderness course in every sense of the word. The team will have limited access to medical care in the general area. This is not a packaged holiday and Wild Med Adventures cannot control mother nature. Should our plans be affected by floods, landslides, lightning storms, snow storms, earthquakes and the like, we will continue with alternate plans in true expedition spirit, affecting self rescues and problem solving along the way.
WILDERNESS MEDICAL SOCIETY AND FELLOW OF THE ACADEMY OF WILDERNESS MEDICINE (FAWM)
- Get involved with the Wilderness Medicine Society and earn your fellowship. Learn more by clicking below links.
MEDICAL EVACUATION INSURANCE:
- Delegates should have personal insurance to cover any in-country medical examinations, treatment or rescue/evacuation from a remote area. We recommend Global Rescue, who can be contacted via their website and offer trip specific and year long coverage. This is a great insurance for those who plan to head out of country or take other adventure vacations.
- Trip Cost including 20.5 hrs CME:
- $999 - Attending Physicians
- $899 - PA's, NP's, EMT's, Paramedics, Nurses, residents & fellows & other medical professionals
- $799 - Students and those not requiring CME certifications or AWLS certification cards; non-medical attendees
- Deposit: $300
- Included: 3 nights lodging, AWLS manual and certification, Wild Med Adventures T-shirt, all meals, canoe rental, & evening wine / drinks (As per the itinerary). 20.5 hours CME / CEU credits
- Excluded: All flights and travel to the Adirondacks, airport taxes, airport transfers to the camp, & travel insurance. Also, does not include additional days of travel or global rescue insurance (optional). See Gear List for required gear above.
CLASS IS COMPLETELY FULL
CHECK BACK SOON FOR NEXT YEARS DATES
September 8th - 11th, 2017
Please fill out ALL Forms and email them to us prior to arrival.
PAY DEPOSIT OR FULL AMOUNT NOW: LIMITED TO FIRST 25 TO SIGN UP
3% Fee if you Pay Online
Check or Money Order: Payable to Wild Med Adventures, LLC
138 Kennedy Road, Belchertown, MA 01007 EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org to hold spot if paying by check
**FULL PAYMENT DUE AUGUST 1ST, 2017**
If not paid in full by August 1st, we have the right to cancel your trip or there will be a $250 additional fee.
CAMP LITTLE NOTCH
744 Sly Pond Road
Fort Ann, NY 12827