Feb. 16th - 26th, 2018
feb 16th - 26th, 2018
ADVANCED WILDERNESS LIFE SUPPORT (AWLS®)- GUATEMALA
- Join us in Guatemala and discover its jungles, mountains, rivers, landscape and beautiful scenery. The rich flora and fauna and diverse culture provide the perfect location to learn and practice Wilderness Medicine. Experience an amazing country and meet the local volunteer bomberos and herpetologist - an experience you won't forget.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is ideal for those interested in providing medical care in the wild or those travel enthusiasts, group leaders, climbers, walkers, EMT’s, nurses, NP's, PA's or doctors with a desire to learn medical treatment in austere environments. While completing the core curriculum of this AWLS® certification course we will travel throughout Guatemala climbing it's highest peak Tajumulco, raft the Cahbon river, explore the beautiful scenery and much more while completing the core lectures, skills and scenario based sessions at various locations along the route.
Check Out Our
ATTENDING THIS COURSE YOU WILL:
- Learn the latest practical hands-on wilderness medical skills for patient assessment, stabilization and evacuation.
- Practice your skills in live scenarios in a wilderness and mountain environment
- Work with our expert faculty and explore Guatemala
- Earn your AWLS® certification accredited by the University of Utah School of Medicine.
- Obtain up to 20.5 hours of CME or Fellowship credits from the Wilderness Medicine Society
- The AWLS program focuses on treatment of the most common injuries and illnesses encountered making the AWLS certification the standard in the medical industry for wilderness medicine. This course offers intensive practical skills
- Advanced Wilderness Life Support (AWLS) Certificate
Approved for 20.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits and WMS FAWM Credits
- Visit the famous and tranquil turquoise pools of Semuc Champey
- White Water raft down the Cahbon river through jungle clad canyons
- Visit Tikal - ancient mayan ruins and watch the sunset
- Experience live venomous and non-venomous snake demonstration from local herpetologist and tropical medicine doctor
- Enjoy last night in Antigua, the country’s famous Spanish Colonial City with option of zip-lining
- Enjoy an energetic and experienced team with additional discussions on altitude medicine and jungle medicine.
Day 1 – Arrive in Guatemala City and overnight in hotel.
Day 2 – Fly to Tikal and explore Island of Flores, morning / afternoon lectures
Day 3 – Drive to Tikal and explore - practice sessions
Day 4 – Travel to Candelaria Caves overnight in Coban
Day 5 – Up early & head to Semuc Champey and explore caves
Day 6 – Rafting Trip on the Cahabon River / scenarios
Day 7 – Drive from Coban to Antigua
Day 8 – Rise early and drive to Volcano - Acatenango and start hike (6 hours to site below summit)
Day 9 – Begin Hike with Head Lamps for sunrise clime
Day 10 - AM Final Exams over breakfast. Drive to Coffee plantation for final scenario / skills session. Zip-lining optional. Last meal as a group.
Day 11 - Shuttle back to Guatemala City and airport.
THE AWLS TEAM / FACULTY:
- The travel logistics and leadership will be provided by an extremely experienced Guatemala team for our 4th trip there, local volunteer mountain guides and white water rafting guides.
- The AWLS instructors / Wild Med Adventures Team are all mountaineers, well traveled and experienced, but are only responsible for the educational aspect of this trip. Instructors: Gabriel Cade, MD, FAWM & Brian Hagan, MD - Please see BIO's for instructor information.
Rescue Insurance is mandatory and we recommend Global Rescue: Sign-up and see details be clicking Logo below
PAYMENT / COSTS:
- Trip Cost with 20.5 hours CME: $3500
- Deposit: $1000
**INCENTIVES AND DISCOUNTS**
Early bird: Delegates signing up prior to November 1st will receive a $150 discount on the total price.
Use Code "EARLYGUAT2018" AT CHECKOUT
- Included: 10 nights lodging, AWLS manual and certification, Wild Med T-shirt or hat, guiding and most meals (As per the itinerary)
- Excluded: All Flights to Guatemala, airport taxes, travel insurance, gratuities, alcoholic beverages, & zip-lining. Also, does not include additional days of travel or global rescue insurance (required).
Registration Closed - Check back later for 2019 dates.
If paying online - 3% fee is calculated into price
To SAVE 3% SEND CHECK OR MONEY ORDER TO
138 Kennedy Road, Belchertown, MA, 01007
- You can pay online now or you can send check or money order - please email to enquire at email@example.com
- Cancellation Policy: The entire balance of your trip fee and CME fee will be due Jan. 15th prior to departure. NO refunds will be given 90 days prior to trip. If you have not paid in full by Jan.. 15th a late fee of $250 will be applied to cost.
- We have a minimum requirement of 5 students for this course, if we do not get at least 5 participants we will cancel the trip and give full refund. Make sure to contact us before purchasing plane tickets in the event we do not meet our minimum requirement.