Dive Medicine - Bocas Islands
Join us April 7th-15th, 2017 for an amazing Dive Medicine CME Conference
April 7 - 15th, 2017
- Join our 8 night Dive Medicine CME course in April 2017 at Bocas Islands, Panama and Dive with La Buga Dive Shop.
This course is ideal for those interested in providing medical care / prevention to divers or those looking to learn more about possible injuries and accidents encountered while diving. Our courses are also great for those travel enthusiasts, group leaders, climbers, walkers, EMT’s, nurses or doctors with a desire to learn medical treatment in austere environments. We will complete the core curriculum of this CME certification course while diving in the beautiful waters of Panama and exploring the many islands. Enjoy 8 dives (2 Night Dives), beautiful beaches, 13 hours CME lectures / work-shops, excellent food and drinks and a day on boat sailing the islands. In addition, earn credits towards your FAWM via the WMS society.
FACULTY DISCLOSURE / CME
- It is the policy of the Wild Med Adventures, LLC to ensure balance, independence, objectivity and scientific rigor. All faculty members are required to disclose any real or apparent conflict of interest related to the content of their presentations.
- Accordingly, the Wilderness Medical Society has determined there are no conflicts to report associated with this conference.
- ACCME Statement: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of the Wilderness Medical Society and Wild Med Adventures, LLC. The Wilderness Medical Society is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- The Wilderness Medical Society designates this educational activity for a maximum of 13 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits TM. Each physician should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ATTENDING THIS COURSE YOU WILL:
- Learn the latest practical hands-on wilderness medical skills for patient assessment, stabilization and evacuation.
- Practice your skills while enjoying the beautiful beaches and waters of the Bocas Islands
- Work with our expert faculty and local Diving Guides to develop your knowledge and awareness regarding diving injuries
- Obtain up to 13 hours of CME and Fellowship credits from the Wilderness Medicine Society towards your FAWM
- Our program focuses on treatment of the most common injuries and illnesses encountered while diving and practical skills for assessment, splinting, wraps, carries and more
Approved for up to 13 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits and 6.5 WMS FAWM Credits
- Tour of Panama Canal
- An opportunity to Scuba Dive / Snorkel around the Bocas Islands, Panama while gaining valuable medical knowledge
- Experience wilderness medicine in context doing what you love to do
- Enjoy excellent food, drinks and hospitality with a rustic atmosphere
- Build friendships to last a lifetime
ITINERARY: (Speakers and times may change slightly based on availability and weather)
Day 1 – Arrive in Panama; Dinner and Introduction to Course
Day 2 – Morning Tour of the Panama Canal; afternoon flight to the Bocas Islands
Day 3 – Morning Scuba / Snorkel; Afternoon Lectures
Day 4 – Morning Scuba / Snorkel; Afternoon Lectures
Day 5 – Full Day Sailing. Afternoon Lectures
Day 6 – Morning Scuba / Snorkel; Afternoon Lectures
Day 7 - Morning Lectures; Night Diving
Day 8 - Beach Day; Afternoon Work-shop
Day 9 - Arrange Transportation Home
MAIN EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES:
- The goal of the Wilderness Medical Society Dive Medicine CME Conference is to provide participants with a unique environment to experience essential medical-related diving topics and learn skills while collaborating with expert faculty through educational activities including lectures, hands on work-shops, and Diving Excursions.
- Development of this CME curriculum is formed by the following key objectives:
- Provide educational opportunities based on core curriculum of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine.
- Provide education of value to providers who care for the medical needs and also those involved with coordination of diving-related educational activities, including medical providers who must educate and instruct diver safety with their patients.
- Provide education of interest to wilderness and austere-activity enthusiasts.
- After attending this conference, the participants will be able to:
- Establish a set of treatment priorities for care of the sick or injured in remote settings.
- Prevent, diagnose, and manage illnesses and injuries in austere environments.
- Demonstrate increased knowledge and skill in recognizing and treating the most common illnesses and injuries encountered in water-related environments, including dive medicine, hypothermia, cold injuries, and marine envenomations.
- Understand objective risk-assessment in wilderness environments from the perspective of the medical professional acting as a trip leader.
- Understand the pathophysiology and management of acute emergencies related to remote environments and dive injuries.
THE TEAM / FACULTY:
- The diving logistics and leadership will be provided by extremely experienced guides from La Buga, whose team members have a wealth of knowledge and experience.
- The Wild Med Adventures Team are all well traveled and experienced and promise to make your CME experience both educational and informative, but please note that we are only responsible for the educational aspect of this trip. For more information regarding our instructor's background - please see BIO's for instructor information.
- Instructors: Nick Daniel, DO, FAWM & Joseph Schneider, MD
- EMT, Paramedic, Nurse, PA, NP, RRT, PhD or Physician for the CME portion.
- If no CME needed, please feel free to attend and enjoy the lectures at no additional cost
- A keen interest in wilderness first aid and diving related injuries
- A good level of physical fitness
- Previous diving and snorkeling experience with adequate preparation for various climate changes and temps
WILDERNESS MEDICAL SOCIETY AND FELLOW OF THE ACADEMY OF WILDERNESS MEDICINE (FAWM)
- Get involved with the Wilderness Medicine Society and earn your fellowship (FAWM). Learn more by clicking below links.
- Delegates should have personal insurance to cover any in-country medical examinations or injuries, rescue/evacuation insurance as well as some form of trip insurance to cover missed flights, weather delays and other potential trip delays. We recommend Global Rescue.
- Intended as continuing education for physicians, mid-level providers, nurses, and medics who aspire to work or teach as a field instructor/provider in recreational diving environments or who may work in remote clinics and deal with the injuries sustained by divers.
- Graduates from other wilderness medicine programs (e.g. FAWM, MFAWM) who want to gain experience and skills in Hunting / Remote Medicine
- Individuals pursuing a Fellow of Wilderness Medicine degree (FAWM™)
ACCOMODATIONS: - "KoKo Cabins - Panama"
- KoKo Cabins is managed by Bahia Del Sol. This pairing has allowed KoKo Cabins to become one of the top ranked lodging choices in all of Bocas Del Toro. Guests of KoKo Cabins are able to enjoy “Jack’s” FREE breakfast each morning adding a touch of Bahia Del Sol to your stay. KoKo Cabins and Bahia Del Sol are right next door to each other and you will receive the same great service and have access to the same great staff…
- People who enjoy staying at KoKo normally are of the mindset that staying in a traditional commercial style hotel or resort in a commercial area is not what they are looking for. These people have left us 100’s of reviews on sites like Tripadvisor routinely ranking us as one of the top properties in Bocas Del Toro because of our customer service and the uniqueness of being located in a Panamanian neighborhood surrounded by Panamanians NOT other hotels or tourists.
- Enjoy a true, traditional style Panama visit on the water at KoKo Cabins.
Course + CME: $3300
Don't Dive? No worries :)
If someone doesn't want to dive they get a $200 discount. We'll provide snorkel gear and steer you in the right direction toward snorkel opportunities. It's possible you can come on the dive boat with the others in which case your transport is free. Otherwise, we will set you up with a ponga boat and captain and you can snorkel for a nominal fee (we get locals rates, between $10 - $30 depending on where you'd like to snorkel.
3% Online Credit Card Fee if you pay online
****EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: Sign-up before January 1st and save $150****
Use Code: "EARLYDIVE" FOR DISCOUNT
Included: 8 Nights lodging (shared accommodations), 8 Dives with 2 night dives, Day of Sailing, Breakfasts & Dinner (Lunch is on own expect approx. $5 - $10/lunch), all dive gear, up to 6.5 credits towards your FAWM and 13 CME credits, and Wild Med Adventures T-Shirt.
NINE DAY/EIGHT NIGHT BEST OF BOCAS DEL TORO DIVING INCLUSIONS (FIRST NIGHT IN PANAMA CITY):
- 1 x Pickup from Tocumen International Airport and drop-off at Hotel
- 1x Night stay at top Panama City Hotel (double occupancy)
- 1 x Breakfast at Hotel in Panama
- 1 x Best of Panama City Day Tour (Canal, City Views, History) with drop off at Domestic Airport for flights to Bocas del Toro
- 1 x Pickup from Bocas del Toro Airport and Orientation with Area
- 7 x Nights Accommodation at Bocas del Toro B&B on the Water
- 8 x Dives Per Person (2 at night)
- 7 x Days Use of the Conference Room at Dive Shop for presentations etc.
- 1 x Full Day Sailing Adventure Aboard 50 foot (or larger) sailboat (lunch and drinks included)
- 7 x Private Breakfasts over the water at B&B (w/ private chef)
- 4 x Private Dinners over the water at B&B (w/ private chef)
- 3 x Chef's Tasting Menu Dinners at top restaurants in Bocas
- 1 x Panama Concierge Guide to assist you and the group with all logistics and Bocas connections
- 1 x Pick-up from Panama City Domestic Airport and drop-off at Tocumen International Airport for flights home
Excluded: Flight from destination to Panama and internal flight (Air Panama: 3:30pm flight Panama City to Bocas del Toro). Any personal dive gear. Any additional costs for lunch, gratuities, delays, injuries, trip insurance, rescue insurance & alcoholic drinks. Expect between $50-$100 in tips for guides each if you have an excellent experience.
or send Check or Money order to save 3%:
Wild Med Adventures, LLC
138 Kennedy Road
Belchertown, MA 01007
***Please note: Full payment due within 60 days of course or a $250 fee will be added to your final cost**
- Cancellation Policy: Your deposit for the travel portion of the course is nonrefundable. The entire balance of your trip fee and CME fee will be due 60 days prior to departure. If you have not paid in full prior to 60 days before the start of the course a late fee of $250 will be applied to final cost or we have the right to cancel your trip. There will be no refund after 60 days prior to course. If you cancel within 90 days of beginning of trip you will be refunded 50% of trip cost. If you cancel trip 120 days before trip you will be reimbursed full price excluding deposit.
- We have a maximum number of 15 excluding instructors.
PLEASE INQUIRE WITH ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS
We hope to meet you in Sept. and share the ultimate fishing CME experience !